Here are three factors to consider before you start discussing salary during the interview process.
- Avoid salary talk during the courtship.
- Don’t imply that money is your sole motivator.
- 3. Make sure you leave room for negotiation.
- Get your figures right.
- Present a solid case when discussing salary.
Is it appropriate to discuss salary in an interview?
A close match to the salary range can indicate that it’s more likely you’ll accept an offer. Before going into a job interview, be prepared to discuss your salary history. Keep in mind that during a job interview, discussing salary is simply a discussion and not a negotiation.
How do you discuss salary expectations?
To help the conversation go smoothly and make sure you get a fair salary, here are a few additional pointers:
- Aim high. Once you know the average salary range for a position, consider padding your expectations.
- Be confident. Some employers are interested in your answer as well as your delivery.
- Explain your reasoning.
How do you talk about salary in an interview?
Here are tips to prepare for the salary question/discussion during job interviews:
- Tip #1: Arm yourself with salary information.
- Tip #2: Deflect the salary question if it’s asked early in the job interview.
- Tip #3: Be prepared to provide a salary range.
- Tip #4: Think about how much you’d like to make.